The USDA-NRCS sends a special thanks to NRCW partners for their support and participation at the 51st Annual Natural Resources Conservation Workshop (NRCW) held June 3-7, 2012 at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College (ABAC). This year there were 153 students in attendance who represented 71 Georgia counties, including 2 students from neighboring state, Alabama.
Partners in this program include: All of the advisors, volunteers and instructors from GACDS, NRCS, GSWCC, DNR, EPD, GFC, ABAC, RD, UGA-Warnell, GMA, and UGA & FVS Extension Services, that dedicated their time and effort to make this event successful. NRCW staff participation included providing equipment, materials, and many hours of direct consultation with high school students concerning the value and protection of natural resources.
NRCW presented $18,450 in college scholarships to deserving workshop students who excelled on the workshop’s final exam.
2012 scholarship and division winners are:
- UGA-Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources $6000 – Brittany Collis (Fannin Co.)
- Georgia Association of Conservation District Supervisors $1500 – Kimily Hood (Ware Co.)
- Natural Resources Conservation Workshop $1500 – Rafe Uscanga (Whitfield Co.)
- Piedmont Conservation Products $1500 – April Grantham (Morgan Co.)
- Blue Ridge SWCD/Young Harris College $1200 – Matthew Hunter (Union Co.)
- Pope Dunaway $1000 – Hannah Taylor (Union Co.)
- Georgia Mining Association $1000 – Richard Barden (Columbia Co.)
- GA. Chapter American Public Works $1000 – Clayton Thrift (Ware Co.)
- GA. Chapter American Public Works $1000 – Micah Henry (Wheeler Co.)
- ABAC Foundation $1000 – William Jackson (Johnson Co.)
- Fort Valley State University $1000 – Gil Tohar (Cobb Co.)
- Flint River SWCD $500 – Blake Stalnaker (Taylor Co.)
- GA. Chapter NOPBNRCSE $250 – Charlie Bagley (Paulding Co.)
Division Award Winners
- Division I Soil & Water Conservation – Charlie Bagley (Paulding Co.) and Kimily Hood (Ware Co.)
- Division II Wildlife & Coastal Resources – Micah Henry (Wheeler Co.)
- Division III Research & Industry – Caitlyn Cheyenne Cox (Walton Co.)
- Division IV Forestry – Clayton Thrift (Ware Co.)
All Scholarships and Division winners received a plaque and $25.00 cash.
Georgia Forestry Commission transported students on trolleys from station to station and GFC along with DNR staff provided hands-on training for their respective stations. Everyone involved with the workshop stepped up to ensure the students had a great week filled with fun and learning.
NRCW sends many thanks to these sponsors who donated resources to make the workshop successful: Georgia Association of Conservation District Supervisors; Georgia Soil & Water Conservation Society; ABAC Ag Alumni Association; Bass Pro Shop, Macon GA; U.S. Forest Service; Georgia Farm Bureau; Georgia Power – Southern Company; Georgia Cattlemen’s Association; Georgia Cotton Commission; Georgia Conservation Tillage Alliance; Georgia Chapter American Public Works Association; Godfrey Seed, Madison GA; Greg Davis Farms, Tifton GA; Middle South Georgia SWCD; Pennington Seed Company; UGA-Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources.
For information on the NRCW program, contact: Dennis Brooks, Acting State Conservationist (FO).NRCW Director USDA-NRCS 355 East Hancock Avenue, Athens, GA 30601, Office: (706) 546.2039, Cell: 706-410-0648